Dog Wet Suit
Design a custom dog wetsuit and choose your own colours. With measurements, color selection and the addition of a custom name for your surf team, you can customize a wetsuit for your dog. Our dog wetsuits are tailored with the highest-quality neoprene by an experienced human wetsuit designer and cut by hand. Seams are sealed, and ‘overlocking’ is added along each seam. Surfdog logo and custom name are heat printed. Production of a single wetsuit requires about 4 hours and and around 2 weeks.
Do I need a Dog Wetsuit?
Yes dogs do sometimes need a wetsuit... spending long times in water, swimming, kayaking or surfing. Short haired dogs in particular feel the cold. Dog Wetsuits also provide extra buoyancy in the water. So if your dog refuses to wear a lifejacket this might give some extra protection. We offer 2 thicknesses of neoprene for those that just need a little extra protection and warmth and those that have to swim in very cold water or for extended periods.
Features of our Custom Dog Wetsuit
Shaped to fit your dog
3mm of 5mm (add extra $10) neoprene
Sealed and stitched seams
All seams smooth on inside to prevent rubbing
3cm full body length Velcro fastening
Optional Name printing - We use a simple font if you have any special requests let us know and we will see what we can do. Enter name in box provided our just get in touch
When a dog wetsuit is needed.
Sometimes, dogs don’t know when to stop, even in very cold temperatures! It’s up to us to make sure that our furry friends are staying safe while swimming in water. Dogs are great sprint swimmers.. in and out of the water. But prolonged swimming or exposure to cold water for any length of time can be dangerous.
Your dog’s breed, age, and health
Some dogs are better suited to cold water swimming than others. Dogs with thick fur or double coats (like huskies, retrievers, and great pyrenees) will be able to stay warmer in the water than dogs with thin coats (like greyhounds, dobermans, and boxers).
Small dog breeds, puppies, and older dogs will also be more sensitive to cold water. Dogs with health conditions that may inhibit their body’s ability to regulate temperature should get a vet’s clearance before swimming in cold water.
Amount of time spent in the water
With so much fun to be had in the water, dogs may not realise how cold they are until they are already at risk of hypothermia. The colder the water is, the more quickly these two conditions can set in. A quicker swim of five to ten minutes or less may be safest. When you dog is cold it will tire very easily and tired dogs do not make good swimmers.
YES YOU HAVE TO DO SOME WORK to make your dog wetsuit! (but any problems then just get in touch)
1. Measure your dog using the guide below, and write down!
2. Enter measurements into the relevant boxes
2. Select colour of main body
3. Select 3m or 5mm (add extra $10) depending on the water conditions
4. Select colour of feature stripe
5. Select YES or NO for name and let have name if you would like to add. Additional charge $10 applies. We print the letters of the name in the same colour as the body of the wetsuit. If you would like a different colour then please leave a note at checkout
We normally turn around custom wetsuits in about business 15 business days depending on how busy we are! We will work as quickly as we can.
To make a dog wetsuit to fit we have to get the measurement of your dog. We will make the wetsuit to the measurements you provide for an exact fit so if you want a little looser add extra cm's to allow for more room.
We need to know
Circumference (around) of
1. Neck just below collar (or where you would like the wetsuit to fit on the neck?)
2. Over the ribs at widest part just behind the front legs
3. Waist. Narrowest part of tummy in front of back legs
Lengths of Your dog's body.
4. Shoulders -Just below collar along back to point of widest part of rib cage
5. Belly Length from behind front legs along belly. Boys stop short of precious parts! Girls take as long as you think will be most comfortable - finishing about 10 cm in front of the back legs.
6.Full back length from just below collar where neck will be to the bum - where you would like to see it finish
Please be accurate as we cannot accept returns on custom wetsuits (unless there is a major difference between your measurements and the final garment)